Pereira Filho, A. J., F. Vemado, K. Saito, H. Seko, J. L. Flores Rojas, and H. A. Karam, 2018: ARPS simulations of convection during TOMACS. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 96A, 247-263.
https://doi.org/10.2151/jmsj.2018-030 Graphical Abstract with highlights
- Deep convection over TMA is induced by the heat island (Fig. 1) and sea breeze (Fig. 2) during weak synoptic forcing simulated with the ARPS/T-TEB system and JMA global model inputs.
- The ARPS/T-TEB simulations of three deep convection episodes are similar to previous studies.
- Dissipation (phase) errors on hourly precipitation forecasts tend to dominate, though scores improved up to 300% within the advective time scale with JMA boundary and initial conditions.
- The goal of the study was to test the T-TEB scheme, recently implemented in the ARPS system.
- The T-TEB includes momentum transfer by buildings and constructions.
- Similar ARPS simulations for the Metropolitan Area of São Paulo (MASP) also include wind acceleration by buildings and structures.